Generate dynamically PDF reports, invoices, statements and other documents on
the fly from HTML data.
PD4ML is a powerful PDF generating tool that uses HTML and CSS (Cascading Style
Sheets) as page layout and content definition format. Written in 100% pure Java,
it allows users to easily add PDF generation functionality to end products.
PD4ML is simple yet powerful. It's designed so you can get up to speed and productive
in a few minutes.
The main use scenarios for PD4ML:
- HTML to PDF transformation with a standalone converting Java tool
- Using PD4ML in Web applications for online PDF generation from HTML, JSP
or ColdFusion® templates. In order to get PDF output, all what you need is to
surround your JSP or ColdFusionŽ markup with <pd4ml:transform>
tags or refer to the markup from an external PD4ML-enabled JSP or Servlet. With
PD4ML PHP wrapper PDF generating functionality can be
added to virtually any PHP application.
- Adding PD4ML to desktop Java applications for reporting or to achieve professional
grade print functionality provided by modern PDF viewers, like Adobe® Acrobat
- Automatic PDF generation in Lotus Notes™/Domino™ environment using PD4ML-enabled
Lotus Java agent.
The Usage Examples is the best place to start if you
are new to PD4ML.
Key features of PD4ML:
PD4ML key features overview:
- Convert an URL or HTML string to a PDF file or byte stream.
- Support of inline and external CSS stylesheets
- Set PDF page format and orientation
- Control page margins
- Define PDF headers and footers in HTML (including images and page numbers)
- Embed and use True Type and Open Type fonts.
- Support most of Asian, Middle-East, European and Latin character sets
- Generate external and internal hyperlinks
- Control header/footer appearance on selected pages
- Embed media or document attachments
- Switch PDF encryption on and assign document security restrictions. PD4ML allows you to secure your PDF documents with 40-bit/128-bit encryption. You can disable printing, modifications or extracting of text content, you can lock your PDF with a password.
- Generate PDF bookmarks from named anchors or from <H1>-<H6>
- Create PDF bookmark hierarchical structure using proprietary
- Generate table of contents based on <H1>-<H6> structure
- Customize page background (color or background image)
- Watermark pages
- Override hardcoded document style with additional CSS style sheets
- Provide basic support for PDF forms
- Support of vector SVG graphics
- HTML-to-Image conversions
- HTML-to-RTF conversions
- PDF manupulation API: documents merge, meta-data updates, deletion of
selected pages, document securing, document info read (number of pages,
creation date, author etc)
Currently PD4ML is available as 100% Java library, JSP
custom tag library, Lotus Notes Java agent (includes DXL-to-HTML
XSLT stylesheet), managed code .NET port of the
Java library, a variety of wrappers for scripting languages: Perl,
PHP, Ruby etc.