Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We have recently upgraded PD4ML from an older version and it looks to me that PD4ML 380fx3 Pro logs quite verbose to System.out:

'arial bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'arial bold'<br /> 'verdana bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'verdana bold'<br /> 'sans-serif bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'sans-serif bold'<br /> 'ms gothic bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'ms gothic bold'<br /> 'mingliu bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'mingliu bold'<br /> 'simsun bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'simsun bold'<br /> 'mangal bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'mangal bold'<br /> 'david bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'david bold'<br /> 'gulim bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'gulim bold'<br /> 'wingdings bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'wingdings bold'<br /> 'symbol bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'symbol bold'<br /> 'lucida sans regular bold' is not in pd4fonts.properties file<br /> reject TTF lookup for: 'lucida sans regular bold'<br /> not yet in cache: java:net/pingpong/tm/fonts/Arial.ttf<br /> read 'arial' from java:net/pingpong/tm/fonts/Arial.ttf<br /> not yet in cache: java:net/pingpong/tm/fonts/Verdana.ttf<br /> read 'verdana' from java:net/pingpong/tm/fonts/Verdana.ttf<br /> not yet in cache: java:net/pingpong/tm/fonts/CourierNew.ttf<br /> read 'courier new' from java:net/pingpong/tm/fonts/CourierNew.ttf<br /> done in 566ms.<br /> version: PD4ML 380fx3 Pro

We would like to keep logging to a minimal when nothing is wrong with the system, but since this logging seems to write to System.out, there is no easy way for us to adjust this. Is it possible to configure logging of PD4ML in any way?

Also, I wonder about the fonts that are mentioned in the logging above, where are they defined? We have no mention of for examlple ‘mangal bold’ in our pd4fonts.properties file because that is not a font we are using anywhere. Why would it be relevant for PD4ML to look it up?

> We would like to keep logging to a minimal when nothing is wrong with the system
    In the case just remove pd4ml.enableDebugInfo() call. If anything fails it prints stack trace independently on the debug mode.

Regarding the fonts: PD4ML has 3 built-in tables of fallback font names for serif, sans and monospaced. It walks the tables when, for example, for Chinese text applied font Arial (however Arial has no Chinese glyphs defined). It is a part of TTF substitution logic.

In your case even Arial is not defined, so it tries to lookup any font is able to display a particular text.

In the case just remove pd4ml.enableDebugInfo() call.

Thank you, I did not even know that my colleagues had added that call. That explains the extensive logging.

About our configuration: we DO have ‘arial’ defined (as well as ‘arial black’), just not ‘arial bold’.

PD4ML can emulate bold by a stroking out of regular glyphs. It is the only option to get bold style for many CJK fonts. But the result is not that good as to use a specially defined bold TTF.

I would recommend to add Arial Bold to your font directory/package.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Deployment / Configuration issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.